Google AdSense is a CPC based ad network that allows you to place ads on your website, and profit when people click on the ads.
CPC refers to Cost Per Click which can be translated to the actual price you pay for each click in your pay-per-click (PPC) marketing campaigns. The Google Adsense program uses keywords, geographical data, demographic data and other data to place ads which are relevant to your website content. The ads themselves are sourced from the advertisers (pay-per-click marketing campaigns using Google AdWords and other Display Networks approved by Google).
Below are bullet points to summarize Google Adsense:
- Adsense is owned by Google – that’s why it is called Google Adsense
- It generates a large part of Google’s income.
- For Adsense to show on any website, the website owner has to participate in the Google Adsense program
- If a user is registered with Adsense he/she will be called an Adsense Publisher.
- Adsense is a platform for publishers i.e. those people that have a website and want to show Google Ads. The system for advertisers i.e those who want to advertise their products or services in Google, is Google Adwords.
- Adsense ads can be shown on mobile devices as well.
- Adsense works with EPC (earnings per click) and CPC (cost per click). Publishers will get paid for clicks on ads appearing in their websites.
- Currently (July 2018), Adsense publishers receive 68% of the click cost and Google 32%. This means that if an advertiser pays $1 for each click on his ads, the Adsense Publisher will get $0.68 and Google $0.32
- Anybody (above 18) with a website that meets the Google Adsense guidelines can participate in the program.
- Adsense has strict rules that should not be violated for any reason. It is your responsibility as an adsense publisher to know and follow the rules.
- Adsense has a number of products suited for desktop websites, videos, games, mobile apps and more.
- Adsense ads can have a number of formats and sizes including text and images.
- Adsense publishers get paid monthly by Google.